Are you looking to create a new email account for your personal use or just to share text and other attachments with friends or relatives? Do you want to open an email account in one of the easy to use and popular email services offered on the internet? Well, if you are looking for a classic and attractive email service to create a new account, then you can always think of the Hotmail email service, one of the pioneer email services to launch on the web. This is an email service that goes back in time and was introduced when web services were beginning to wag its tail.
The best part about the Hotmail service was that it started as a free web-based email service when the internet services were offered at a premium by the internet service providers. The use of Hotmail opened the door for any person from any part of the world to send or receive email messages through his or her computer. All they need to send and receive emails was a computer and an internet connection. The world about Hotmail spread like fire and many people started to make use of this free web based email service.
Transition from Hotmail to Outlook.com
The Hotmail is history now. Microsoft has acquired www.Hotmail.com from its founders Sabeer Bhatia and Jack Smith within one year of its operation. Such was the popularity of Hotmail that Microsoft shelled out $400 million from their pocket to buy the Hotmail free email service. Hotmail became MSN Hotmail in 1997. After the acquiring of Hotmail, Microsoft carried out plenty of modifications and changes to this free email service in order to offer a better emailing service for its clients. The best chance to ever happen to the Microsoft Hotmail was that it was rebranded as Outlook.com in February 2013 to compete with the likes of Gmail web-based email service. The Hotmail was totally replaced by Outlook.com and all the millions of Hotmail accounts were moved to the new look Outlook mail service. There were plenty of new features offered by Outlook like the two-step verification, integration with social media platforms, Skype, SkyDrive, unlimited storage space, huge file transfer option and updated calendar. The best part is that Microsoft did not close the erstwhile Hotmail account and allowed all the users with Hotmail.com accounts to access their inbox through the Outlook.com sign-in page. In fact, if people still want to create a Hotmail account for nostalgic and sentimental purposes, then they are allowed to do so through the Outlook.com sign-up page. The new interface of the Outlook is very easy and simple and is loaded with features.
The Outlook.com is the next generation of free email service offered by Microsoft and there is no way one can switch back to the Hotmail.com service. You can now use your existing Hotmail email and password to send and receive emails and to check emails through the Outlok.com page. The inbox will be now clutter-free with various features like archive, one-click unsubscribe, sweep, etc.
Creating a Hotmail account
If you are looking to create a new Hotmail account, then you will have to sign up for a new account through the Outlook.com or the Microsoft Account creation page. The procedure to create a Hotmail account is very simple and easy to follow. The steps involved in the Hotmail account creation are discussed in detail below.
Step 1: Type URL on favorite browser
- Open your favorite web browser like Microsoft Edge or Mozilla Firefox or Opera.
- In the address bar, type hotmail.com and press the Enter button on your keyboard.
Step 2: Microsoft Outlook sign up page
- No matter you type the Hotmail address in the address bar, you will be directed to the Microsoft Outlook sign-in page.
- You can create the Hotmail account through this Hotmail sign in page.
- As you do not have a Microsoft account and want to create one, look for the “Don’t have a Microsoft account? Sign up now” option at the bottom of this page and then click on it.
Step 3: Microsoft account creation page
Once you click on the sign-up page, you will be directed to the Microsoft Create an Account page where you will find a detailed sign up form to fill to create your desired Hotmail account. You need to fill all the details that are asked in this form as well as enter the security code options in order to complete the sign-up and to create the account. The sign-up page will also be asking a few basic personal details of you and you should make sure that you give the correct details so that you do not have any issues when you are looking to reset your password or creating an alias for your email account.
Step 4: Entering your name
- The first type box that you will find in the account creation page is in your name. You will see two type boxes side by side under the option first and last name.
- You need to enter your first name and the last name on the precise boxes and move on to the next option.
Step 5: Entering username and domain name
- The next step in the Microsoft account creation page is to enter your username.
- Make sure that you enter a unique username in the box provided for the username.
- After you have keyed on the username of your choice, you will have to choose the domain name that you would like to use to follow your username.
- This box for the domain name will be having a drop-down arrow that you can press to choose the @hotmail.com option since you want to create a Hotmail email account.
- The username that you enter will be like email@example.com and this will be your email address that you print on your business cards.
- If the username that you have typed is chosen by someone else, you will get a prompt from Microsoft to type in another username or even it will suggest certain usernames based on your typed username.
- You have the liberty to either choose, the suggested username or type in another username that you would like to use.
- After you have chosen a satisfactory username and domain name, you will be allowed to move on to the next step.
Step 6: Enter unique password
Like the username, the password field is also very important as this is the security code that you will be entering whenever you are looking to access your Hotmail inbox for your created username.
- You need to be very careful when entering your password as it is case sensitive and can also be easily hacked by data thieves and internet fraudsters if you use very simple passwords.
- You should enter a password that has more than 8 characters. Ensure that you mix using uppercase and lowercase alphabets, numbers and special characters as your password so that it cannot be cracked easily.
- Once you enter a strong and unique password in the password type box, you can move on to the next field and this is a field where you will be asked to re-enter your password.
- You should type the same password that you have used before and make sure about the cases that you use. Even a difference in one case or character of the password will not allow you to move forward and will ask you for re-entering your password correctly.
Step 7: Entering your personal information
- After you have entered your username and password, the next few fields will ask you about your personal information.
- You will first be asked about your country or region and you can choose the same from the drop-down menu list.
- After this, you will be asked to choose your birth date, month and year from the drop-down list. Chose the right options.
- You will also be asked to choose a gender option from the drop-down menu.
Step 8: Protection of your info
The next two options are asked in order to ensure that your account is safe and secure. You will be asked to enter your alternate email address and phone number in the next two type boxes. Make sure that you enter your country code and your phone number correctly in the spaces provided. This field is very useful and needs to be filled correctly as this information will help in letting you know if there is an unauthorized sign-in to your Hotmail account or help you in recovering your lost password. You will also be asked to enter your alternate email address and you can skip this option if you do not have another email address.
Step 9: Entering CAPTCHA code
- Before you complete the Hotmail account sign-up process, you will be asked to enter the CAPTCHA code that is shown on the screen in the type box for the code.
- This is asked in order to confirm that you are a real person and not a robot signing up for a Hotmail account.
- Enter the characters that you see on the screen in the box provided.
Step 10: Create account option
After you have filled all the required fields correctly, you just need to click on the “Create Account” option to complete the sign up for a Hotmail account. You can use the new email address and password that you used while creating the account to sign in to Hotmail inbox.